Friday, July 27, 2012

numbness


Some days I feel like randomly writing today is not one of those days. Writing use to be something that I would do anytime anywhere, it does not seems like that anymore. I guess people grow up. Damn. I don’t want to grow up. But what does it mean, to grow up, I mean, what is the purpose of growing up, or not doing it?
What really sucks, besides growing up, is being numb, and I believe that, that is why people don’t like to grow up. The numbness of not enjoying anything, not taking risks, being too careful, I know a lot of adults like this. I also know kids like this. Kids that do not want to jump to the swimming pool, that do not want the parent to hold the bike behind them, want to know they are safe. Safe, safe can be really awesome, like having a safe place to go in a rainy day. But safe can also keep you from living an awesome life, take, for instance, hiking, is a wonderful experience, most of the times safe enough, but when there is a more inclined passage, or narrow or when you have to literally climb without a safety net an harness or an instructor, it stops being safe, and now only the bold ones will keep on moving forward. Are they risking their lives? Can they get out hurt, or even dead? Yes they can, but you too, can die if right now in this moment an earthquake happens right under your feet. So, why not take the bold choices? Don’t take me wrong, I don’t want you to go and do all the wrong things because YOLO. But do the best of the life you have, what you and I need, and probably lost along the way is the boldness we had, not so long ago when we were kids, when a friend would propose a challenge we would do it even if in the end he didn’t pay what he promised. This reminds me of a movie I saw a long time ago. “How to eat fried worms” if you are sensitive do not watch it, but if you want to try and test how far your stomach can go do it. It is quite amusing.

“I would totally eat fried worms but what would other people think?” I would think you are a brave human being. I am not. I wouldn’t because I don’t usually like animals of any type, and worms, no thank you. Don’t think about what other people would think, they will only expect of you as high you set the bar for the to expect. It does suck when someone looks at you weird and asks “vegan? Oh really? And you go and do protests in front of McDonalds and stuff? How do you get protein? Do you even like the food you eat? How can you survive without meat?” Well most of the times they are just jealous because you can do something they can’t. It is true. They can’t.
It is called self-control. I control, my emotions, my thoughts and my cravings, if I say “I will stop eating meat” and then I crave it, I have to tell my brain “dude, not gonna happen, I have the power over myself, I can win this battle”
It is true self-control gives you boldness. Reason before doing anything stupid, YOLO is not “do all the stupid things!!” YOLO is “Be the best version of you every day, be bold and new, don’t let yourself dive among others, be unique, stand out, but, then don’t go back to normal.”

In the end of the day, ask yourself, “How will this make me a better person?” let me tell you that the experience of hiking and climbing is the best thing to enjoy the nature, and when you get to the top you feel realized. There are plenty of hard parts, but quitting in the middle will never give you the same pleasure of accomplishment that finishing will.

We are not afraid to grow up, we are afraid to be numb.
Be bold.

I guess I’ve been reading too much flinch

No comments:

Post a Comment